Sunday, January 29, 2006

Gripes and grumbles

God, but the roads are crap in Leeds! So many in bad need of resurfacing......

Day spent out on the road. Off to York in the morning after a huge detour across Leeds - routes are also signposted exceptionally craply - meaning a nice bomb up the A-roads and freezing hands to boot. I love York, it still is my favourite city and going back always is nice. I'm still totally disturbed by all the shops and doodads around Swinegate and Little Stonegate, because conceptually they are still back alleys to be with nothing in them. Not so, and not so for a long time too! Still, I'll have to go back there lots - and find the proper places to park. Still, it was quite quiet for a sunday (southampton must be a bigger draw than I thought), though there was a random parade or berobed dignitaries, which everyone stopped and had a gawk at, without knowing what the hell was going on! Lovely lamb for lunch, seems to be having a bit of a renaissance at the moment.

Desperate to keep riding, it was then off to Harrogate, again getting lost on back roads on the way. I've forgotten how much I'm used to knowing a place like the back of my hand, I really dont know where I am around here! Then again, I didnt really know my way around Redland or top Clifton when I was in brizzle, so no change, I suppose. Hmmmm. Anyhow, Harrogate seems rather dull (like people have been telling me), but it still is very pretty. I think I'm appreciating that the good stuff about Yorkshire isnt in it's towns, it's in the country - and certainly considering some of the views I was getting, I would say so. Managed to nearly pee myself in Harrogate tho, what with the loos at the station being closed. Not pleasant!

Scooted along then to Otley, teeny tiny place which seemed to be rambler haven (though lots of other bikers going through too), plus even though it was totally small, I managed to lose myself and forget where the car park was. Oh dear.

And then back into Leeds and here I am. Must say I've been having lots of thoughts today, which I really should have been paying more attention to, but they've all gone. So they arise, so they pass away, unnoted. Alas. Anyway, it'll teach me to think too hard!

Back to work on the morrow, kinda looking forward to it and kinda not! Lots to do, lots I should do. Still feeling my way with this chemistry a little, but I think it's going nicely at the moment!

Oh, and the other gripe. I've realised why the fuel bills that irksome housemate was complaining were too high, are too high. It's because he is pathologically incapable of turning off the lights! I keep finding them left on, in the cellar, coming home to find they've been on all day......Aaaarrrrgh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home