Sunday, October 08, 2006

Virtues of the airing cupboard

They are many. The airing cupboard is a convenient place for storing your bathroom laundry, letting it dry, hiding your boiler, hiding yourself when the Jehovah's Witnesses come calling....but the best favourite is for storing your excess toilet paper in.

Now, this is a delightful thing, since it means you can keep clutter away from the loo where it might get a bit damp (erk) and make your bathroom nice and neat. However, it can lead to critical tactical errors when, as in my case, the airing cupboard is positioned at quite a distance from the toilet at the other end of the bathroom, ten feet away.

Imagine my delight therefore, when after a most satisfying crap I look to the loo roll and find a merest adherance of paper of maybe three sheets or less. Fantastic. And the subsequent crawl across the bathroom floor with my arse held high in the air to fetch more i will of course leave entirely to your imagination. Suffice to say, I was not impressed with myself, and have no-one else to blame since no-one else lives here. Unless I've been visited by the toilet-paper fairies once again. Bastards.

This weekend has been a very nice and chilled one, and I'm actually ready to fact the coming week with a big smile and a grin. This is a rare occurence, Sunday evening usually sees me either on a train somewhere in the Home Counties or flopping about at home being all grumpy about the coming week of slog. But this weekend has invested me with some degree of satisfaction.

Saturday morning was a slow one, and by the time I had woken, become conscious and staggered out of the house it was about half nine. A nice trip to work was followed by surprise when the lab was completely empty, so I cracked on with the paperwork that needed doing and actually achieved a great deal in a small amount of time. There's a lot to be said for not doing your work in the normal working week! I then pottered off into town where I reacquainted myself with the ever-popular charms of the baked potato, and then had a quick run around the ring road to get home. Saturday afternoon and evening was spent dithering, then going out to buy chicken at stupid o'clock and driving halfway across town to 24-hour Asda, much fun. And then cooking and over-eating and seemingly offending someone online. Whoops. I do try not to upset people, but sometimes I just cant avoid it. Tip: dont pretend to be something you're not, people suss you out very quickly!

Today I awoke to a gorgeous morning and used up the last remains of coffee in the house to make myself a single cup of decaff. This was, by all accounts, really quite vile. I've lost the ability to make decent coffee for myself, this is a tragedy, but is perhaps the start of the healing process whereby I return to the charms of green tea and no rashes on my legs. Toast made in the oven with cheapo raspberry jam made a sufficient breakfast, and then I went out riding for most of the rest of daylight. Great fun.

I did have a little moment of surprise though. Heading into Harrogate along the Leeds road, I noticed for the first time that you can see a viaduct on the RHS of the road as you pass all the garages and garden centres. Now, I'm sure I've never seen it before, and I ride that road almost all the time! Strange how the mind is funny like that. Suppose the happy conclusion is that I've got my mind on the road usually (not least because it becomes dual carriageway for a very short stretch up a hill, and I'm usually itching to just zoom past all the big Chelsea tractors that seem to populate Harrogate. (And as an aside, I can put in my distaste for these vehicles; I can appreciate that people out in the country do need reliable and comfortable high-powered vehicles, but they are so environmentally friendly and always seem to have only one person in at a time. But my real issue is the fact that they are just as bad as white vans for blocking the road and being driven terribly and obscuring the view like nobodies business. The advantage of being up on a bike means you can see over car tops and protect yourself; not past a lovely big four-wheel drive).

Where was I? Oh yes. Harrogate was a brief stop before heading out again, Otley road, just perfect for me to miss the turning I need and coming round in one enormous big loop and straight back to Harrogate. Still, it is a lovely road and well worth riding, especially coming over the top by Blubberhouses when you can just burn it along the lovely straight bits and enjoy all the twisty bits too. Very good for grinsome-ness.

And an observation. I've got more than one set of stuff to wear when I go biking now, but I notice that my attitude is considerably altered depending on what I'm wearing. So, we make a mental note that in the red stuff I behave like a nutter, whereas in the black stuff I'm much more measured and reasonable. There is a lesson to be learned here, and it is that I shouldnt wear red. People at work will confirm that I can be utterly insane if prodded in the right direction, and we want to avoid this if at all possible.

Had a big long conversation with Steve online when I got home (hello Steve!), nice to catch up with a very good bloke. And now we are in the gentle wind down to leftover curry and more rice and sandwiches to make for tomorrow and all the usual sunday night stuff. Including tumble-drying my trousers, the endless amusement. All in all, it's been one of the best weekends I've had in a long while (not wishing to offend P here, it's a lot less stressful when I dont have to worry about trains, but I'd rather be with you tiger (:-x ), and as was previously indicated, I'm all set for the new week. We'll see what it all brings.

And now the inspiring quote from Basho for the week;

"There is nothing you can see that is not a flower;
There is nothing you can think that is not the moon."


Hmmm, yes.

1 Comments:

Blogger Graeme said...

Sorry to make my comment about only one thing from your extra large blog, but you appealed to my abnormal sense of humour by encouraging me to think about you running out of loo roll, and the whole crawling across the floor. So much so I actually laughed VERY loudly. So thanks!

9/10/06 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home