Monday, May 15, 2006

Dear oh dear

No blog entry for a week! What a shambolic effort. Well, here is one for you now......

Last week scooted by in a haze of sunny days, really gorgeous weather. Started eating lunch outside - there is an undiscovered patch of green out behind the buildings, and shielded from the main road, most calm, quiet and condusive to subathing. And it used to be a graveyard. Triffic. Still, made for good lunches, and the week went by very quickly. I now have about six compounds in pure state which require full characterisation. This is a process that shouldnt take too long, but I dont think I can get away with putting on loads of experiments to run overnight; but hanging around and checking up on them during the day is a pain in the arse. What is more of a pain in the arse is the inability of people to have a bit of care with other people's data and spectra, which get randomly shuffled by courtesy.

Spent a fantastic weekend with Patrick, again with sunny weather and a little bit of catching the sun. The summer always makes me feel better, not least because it's better for my skin. I'm loving the bright mornings and the 'getting home and it is still light' thing. Didnt really do much else, walked up the sea-front and out onto the pier again - biting sea wind for all the sunshine - and back through the town. I'm almost wanting to explore a bit more around there, so much to see. But it appears I have a death wish in P's presence and forget to look for cars and taxis when crossing the road, much to his concern. Never mind, I'm not dead yet!

Five hour trip home on the train was less than fun. It's only an hour to London, but then I'm forced to wait for about an hour for the connecting direct service, or in fact, any service. To be fair, I'd rather wait at Kings X then at Doncaster (hideous, hideous station with bad memories), but it is a bit annoying to have an enforced wait in the middle of the journey, in a place where there is the enticing aroma of baked goods. Not that they are the best baked goods, but you know. And the train trip home with the falling asleep and the dribbling . How embarrassing. Discovered it had been raining in Leeds, and had actually been doing so all weekend, so I'm rather pleased I got the good weather!

A late night was followed by an early morning, but then I couldnt get into the bathroom for ages. For some reason, I seem to time it completely wrong every morning, despite always trying to go at different times. Not best pleased, because I seem to have an inability to just do something else constructive in the meantime; just seem to have to show myself to water first or the day just goes all wrong. At any rate, the day did go a little wrong because I missed the train I was intending to get and had to wait for the next one, necessitating a more hurried start at work than usual. Instead of a leisurely coffee and check of e-mail to start the day, I just had to leap in and get on with it! Doing work at work, how shocking.....

Got drenched on the way home, though. Supposed to be picking up bike, which is in garage being fixed up and serviced. Took in last Thursday to receive a call saying that they hadnt received the parts in the post and could I wait till Friday? No problems, say I, except it'd be Monday what with my trip to see P. So I go along today walking through the drizzle and eventual downpour, to discover parts still hadnt been delivered with the post, but they hadnt rung. My own fault for not checking, really, but it then meant a further walk home in the pouring rain with no shelter on the way and no change for the bus. On arrival home, to discover that my socks had melted or something, and I had lovely black splodges all over them. The delights of new shoes.

Anyhow, I did get a look at my baby and she's looking good! Chain all nice and new and cleaned and decked out with grease (that is, if it hasnt been replaced - erk!) and all the engine done....I'm getting all excited about having her back so I can get her out for a big run.....though to be fair it'll probably be a trip to Harrogate, as per! Maybe into York too, who knows....not been there since February, and I said I was going to go there quite a bit, which hasnt happened. I suppose it's because I started buckling down with the city here. Still, I do love York and will have to take P there and show him all my favourite places.

Discovered a nice mess back home when I returned, I think we're all a little bit hopeless with the communal cleaning and living. To be fair, I know I'm a mucky bugger but I do try and keep it localised to my room (enormous box of books and cables notwithstanding). But the kitchen should be sacrosanct in my mind, and there's skank left there for ages by a certain person and it's not pleasant. Also, because I know that though he does clean it after a while, the respite lasts barely a few hours before more muck is back! I've gone all anal about it, and I'm not best pleased. Reminds me: need to get some rubber gloves this weekend and scrub out that oven with the sodium hydroxide wash stuff! Hmmm, maybe next time I can just pinch some from work........

Right then, time to sign off. Maybe expect more mutterings in the next week, but then again, maybe not! I dont seem to have the inclination to blog at work like I used to; maybe because I want to write about people there, but not if they are going to read it over my shoulder! Whatever.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home