Friday, February 23, 2007

The simple things in life

A very quiet day at work today, and much appreciated. It really is way too crowded when everyone is around, but even the lack of just two or three people makes all the difference. Much less stressful playing dodgems all the time, and less background hubbub and regular access to computers. These are all good things. Not that too much was achieved today, but I'm happy. I've realised that I just need to go *snip* and say 'that's enough', and just get the hell on with other things. So next week will be devoted to report writing and tidying up loose ends, and sorting out this bloody enzyme jobber that the boss wants me to do (that I thought had been shelved or forgotten about).

I digress. What I really want to blog about today is that the simple things in life are often just what you need. I've been moaning about food through most of this week, and not eating particularly interestingly, but tonight I've really scraped the barrel and come up with something rather wonderful.

Omelettes, blogardes, omelettes. The simplest thing in the world, and the only proviso is that butter is essential and not optional. It really is heavy on the fats, but is otherwise so light and good for you and just delicious - a just set/ever-so slightly runny mass of buttery-firm egg, with just a little bit of something in the middle to contrast in flavour, in my case today a few cubes of cheese. Just fantastic. I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, what with the habit my digestive system has with eggs and noxious gases, but at the moment I'm veritably glowing with delight and contentment. Perfection would be achieved if I only had some fruit to eat - but perfection is to be endlessly strived after and never achieved.

Back in the second year of my undergraduate, I went through a summer of eating about 5 of these cholesterol bombs every week, at 3 eggs a shot (I know, it was terribly bad for me!), when I'd buy delicious salty cooked ham from Chandos Deli and put just a little inside (if there's one thing I miss most about living in Brizzle, it's Chandos Deli and hell, Reg the Veg and all the other shops in Clifton village *nostalgia*), and I think I might be onto it all again. It's very cheap, and a good source of protein - make sure I buy free range only, suppose I should organic it too, but that's a dirty word - and I have a good pedigree in that a lot of East Asia eats plenty of eggs as its major protein source. I'll have to give this some thought, though I'm not sure where it'll fit in with the layered food/mash obsession I had last month!

What I really need to do is get on the fruit bandwagon and eat more deserts. But that would involve custard, something I do like to make for myself from scratch (even if it is a bit long-winded), and hence even more eggs. Ah well. I need to go shopping tomorrow......a whole world of food awaits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home