Sunday, March 19, 2006

And for the fans of Andreas Gryphius......

Freely repunctuated by myself, cribbed from Project Gutenberg


"Der schnelle Tag ist hin, die Nacht schwingt ihre Fahn
Und führt die Sternen auff. Der Menschen müde Scharen
Verlassen feld und werck, wo Thier und Vögel waren
Traut itzt die Einsamkeit. Wie ist die zeit verthan!

Der Port naht mehr und mehr sich zu der glieder Kahn.
Gleich wie diß licht verfiel so wird in wenig Jahren
Ich, du, und was man hat, und was man siht, hinfahren.
Diß Leben kömmt mir vor alß eine renne bahn.

Laß höchster Gott mich doch nicht auff dem Lauffplatz gleiten
Laß mich nicht ach, nicht pracht, nicht lust, nicht angst verleiten.
Dein ewig heller glantz sei vor und neben mir,

Laß, wenn der müde Leib entschläfft, die Seele wachen,
Und wenn der letzte Tag wird mit mir abend machen,
So reiß mich auß dem thal der Finsterniß zu dir."

.....and ever-so helpfully translated by babelfish!

"
The fast day is, the night swings its Fahn and leads stars auff. Humans tired crowds leaving field and werck, where Thier and birds were trust itzt the isolation. How is the time verthan! The haven approaches more and more to is arranged punt. Equal as diss light in such a way become in few years I, you purged, and which one has, and which one siht, drive. Diss life koemmt me forwards alss one runs course. Do not let highest God me nevertheless auff the Lauffplatz slide let me not oh, not splendour, not desire, not fear tempt. Your glantz is eternally brighter before and beside me, leave, if the tired body entschlaefft, which are awake soul, and if the last day will make with me evening, then tears me for outer thal dark-eats to you."

Automated translation. Fantastic. (though admitedly it's a bit unfair!)





...and just for the curious, a proper verse translation by Sheenagh Pugh;

"Swift day is run; star armies march behind
night's banner. Men in weary company
leave field and labour; where beasts used to lie,
loneliness grieves. Why, time's gone like the wind.
These men are little boats, and soon they'll find
their port. Light fails; so soon shall you and I
and all we have, and all we see, pass by.
A racetrack life stretches before my mind.
Oh Lord, let me not slip upon the way,
nor pleasure, pain nor fear lead me astray.
Thy constant light lead me and live in me,
that though my body sleep, my soul may wake,
and when my evening and the last day break,
then tear me from the darkness' vale to thee."



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home