Tuesday, November 09, 2010

November

Welcome to November!

I'm having a bit of a shite time of it at the moment; after a nice weekend break away with P, I seem to have caught something hideous in my eye. Along with that, my eczema has had a huge flare-up on one hand, the like of which has not been seen in many years. This is worrying. The eczema is painfully awful, though I can cope with it, but the eye thing has me rather crapping myself.

I know the state of my vision is nothing so awful - I can still see, still function, though reading is much, much less of a pleasure than in used to be, even with my stylish specs (that I've managed to lose, gawd knows how). I find it tiring to focus on text, which is a bugger if you do enjoy reading. I've taken to relying heavily on my non-herpetic eye which, though no longer perfect, at least doesnt have the ghosting effect of my right eye and I can read text at a ggod rate. If I get scarring on that other retina, it's going to really knock my ability to read on the head, and that's freaky-scary. I know it won't be me going blind, but it will seriously curtail what I can see, and there's not a hope of any kind of non-invasive correction....which basically means my eyesight will be shot until they'd agree to operate once I turn 60-odd. And we're not talking laser surgery, it'd be the full-on hack-open-your-eyeball job. Not pleasant to consider.

In other news, I now have a date for my advanced riding test: 3rd Dec. I'm totally not ready for it at the moment, though there are about 3.5weeks in the meantime to try and sort things out. I'll have to spend some evenings reading up, and get in as much backroad riding as is possible to prep me for it. I've not really been for a long spin since it started getting nippy and darker in the morning - so in the coming weeks I'll have to force myself to get up earlier, leave earlier, and go the back roads. Because I'm certainly not riding them at night, scary.

Had a first play event with new theatre group in Horsham, they're plagued like most groups with lack of ticket sales and not helped by the local council with regards advertising, or the local facillities regards charges for hire. It's a real shame, but it's almost like many local theatre groups are battling the same issues - not being able to breakeven, meaning no money to operate. Unfortunately the costs are a lot higher than they used to be, audiences are no longer there with the recession, and that which is exciting for a group to stage in not exciting for a public to watch (outside of London). This, and also the aging demographic of theatre groups. It's a shame that younger people don't seem to want to take part - or if they do, it's in a musical-framed capacity. I kinda understand that, hopefully it is something that will change though. Good theatre is possible without music. The best theatre moments often lack it entirely. I won't go as far as to agree with Marceau, though.

Enough for now, my fingers are getting a bit sore. At least I have only to listen to things in the morning - training course to attend, no thought required :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home